The University of Chicago’s distinct intellectual environment of rigorous inquiry depends upon diversity of perspective and experience among those who compose it. We have affirmed this charge since our founding, by admitting and hiring, men and women, members of many races, individuals of various sexual orientations and physical capacities, and those devoted to wide range of religious backgrounds. Most recently we have reaffirmed this charge through initiatives to increase access and affordability for students from all backgrounds and economic circumstances. To ensure that concerns about campus climate are represented at the highest levels of university leadership, the President and Provost have decided to convene the University Diversity Advisory Council, a group of faculty members and students that will serve as a direct link to the president and provost on these matters.
We ask that the council
- Elevate important issues related to diversity and inclusion to the president and provost
- Provide consultation and leadership on current and new initiatives including climate surveys, campus-wide discussions, cross-cultural awareness and learning opportunities for students, staff, and faculty.
- Advise on the best approaches to attracting and retaining a diverse faculty and student body generally
- Recommend approaches to ensure that ongoing efforts around diversity and inclusion are well-coordinated
This council will serve a two-year term and meet with the President and Provost regularly to discuss campus issues related to all forms of diversity and inclusion, not just those related to race and ethnicity.
- Adam Green (chair), Associate Professor, Department of History and the College
- Ramón Gutiérrez, Preston & Sterling Morton Distinguished Service Professor, Department of History and the College
- Ka Yee Lee, Professor, Department of Chemistry and the College
- Agnes Lugo-Ortiz, Associate Professor, Department of Romance Languages and Literatures
- Doriane Miller, M.D., Director, Center for Community Health and Vitality; Associate Professor of Medicine, UCMC
- Angela Olinto, Homer J. Livingston Professor, Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics, Enrico Fermi Institute, and the College; Chair, Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics
- Charles Payne, Frank P. Hixon Distinguished Service Professor, School of Social Science Administration
- Jacqueline Stewart, Professor, Department of Cinema & Media Studies
- David Strauss, Gerald Ratner Distinguished Service Professor of Law
- Miguel Barajas, Medicine
- Alita Carbone, Political Science
- Carlos Cardenas-Iniguez, Psychology
- Ruby Garrett, Law
- James Kiselik, Mathematics
- Melissa Gilliam, Vice Provost for Academic Leadership, Advancement, and Diversity
- Katie Callow-Wright, Vice President and Chief of Staff
Please direct inquiries to Somaiyya Ahmad
For more information about the Diversity Advisory Council, visit the link at the bottom of this page.